Tuesday 17 November 2015

Film Noir- Reflective Analysis

Our film was based off the traditional film noir genre, so as a result, we tried to take advantage of the fact that it consistently displays clear conventions such as smoking, shadows, a femme-fatale and murder. I think that we effectively accomplished portraying these throughout our short film.
We used torches in order to cast shadows on characters faces, incorporated a femme-fatale as well as smoking and a murder into the story.
My role within the team was director- I instructed actors on where to position themselves, dictated the camera angles and wrote the dialogue. I feel as though I effectively transferred my vision onto the screen, as the majority of the scenes are how I wanted them.
However, I feel as though we didn't create completely appropriate miss-en-scene, but, through no fault of our own. We didn't have access to props, appropriate clothing and lighting assistance, (such as venetian blinds), which consequently meant our sets and general feel of the film wasn't as traditional and faithful to the genre as we would've liked. However, the music my team mate chose and applied to the film was appropriate and gave the film an authentic feel throughout- as the music is constantly playing.
Next time, we will make sure that we have microphones near the actors if the camera is far away in order to limit the amount of background noise, as there is a lot of unwanted sound, and the dialogue is relatively quiet in comparison to the voiceover- limiting consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment